Effective treatment of diabetes utilizes long-term and continuous adherence to insulin therapy, there is a need to consider the patient’s preference for the type of insulin therapy. The most common route for insulin administration is through vials and syringes but is associated with injection pain, dependency for injection delivery, needle phobia, etc.
The use of insulin pens offers many options to allow insulin delivery to be tailored to the individual patient. The use of insulin pens provides several advantages for patients, including greater satisfaction, superior accuracy for delivering small doses of insulin, greater social acceptability, and less reported injection pain.
Objective: To understand doctor’s perception and how their patients respond on the usage of vial and syringe versus prefilled insulin pen
A total of 104 physicians participated in the survey—Diabetologists (29%), General practitioners (51%), Others (20%)
- According to the doctors, 60% of the patients prefer using prefilled insulin pens as compared to insulin vials and syringes.
- Doctors also stated that the majority of the patients (83%) feel that it is easy to switch to prefilled insulin pen as compared to an insulin vial and syringe
- When asked the feedback of their patients in terms of cost, 69% of them feel that prefilled insulin pen is expensive
- Also, the compliance of patients on insulin using prefilled insulin pen is more than the usage of vial and syringe i.e. up to 66% and equal to the usage of vial and syringe is 22%
- The majority of the doctors (89%) recommend their patients to use prefilled insulin pen over vial and syringe
- When the doctors were asked if the subscription of prefilled insulin pen will help patients to manage diabetes, 97% of them agreed to it
According to the doctors, it was found that patients feel prefilled insulin pen is expensive but has better compliance, satisfaction and is easy to use. Most of the doctors also feel that a subscription to prefilled insulin pen will help patients in terms of diabetes management.
Doctors can explain to their patients the benefits of prefilled insulin pens like superior accuracy for delivering small doses of insulin, greater social acceptability, and less reported injection pain. Also, industries can come up with cost-effective innovative ways for the subscription of the insulin pen.
To read more about the study, Click Here
To know more about INSIGHTS: Health Care Professionals Are At Higher Risk Of Violence, Click Here
To know more about how WhiteCoats can help you in your professional advancement, visit www.whitecoats.com